Nicole & Mark ♥ Bali, Indonesia
Photographer: PhotoFactory Bali
Nicole and Mark tied the knot at the secluded and luxurious Villa Sanctus in Bali. The breathtaking venue perched on a clifftop wows guests with unobstructed views of the brilliant blue sky and the crystal-clear Indian Ocean below. All eyes however were on the elegant bride Nicole, as she dazzled in a stylish sequin gown that shimmered in the Balinese sunlight.
The couple’s first dance was to the Dirty Dancing hit “Time of My Life” and yes, they rocked the dance floor for their guests by reenacting the moves including the epic lift! The song was a great choice as it seems to perfectly sum up their beautiful Bali wedding day.
“We had friends from all over the world attend our wedding – London, Denmark, Oman, Vietnam and all over Australia. We all stayed at the Nusa Dua Hotel & Spa for a few days before the wedding so we could catch up with everyone and enjoy Bali by the pool with a few cocktails.”
“On the day of the wedding we transported our guests to the Villa Sanctus where we had the wedding (the bridal party got ready at the Villa). My groom spent the whole day coordinating the set up – poor thing! At 3.30pm our guests arrived and at 4pm we walked down the aisle.”
“Our wedding was unique in a few ways…first of all the groomsmen wore shorts which everyone seems to think was unheard of but we thought they looked incredible in their tailored vests and shorts by Anika Tailor Bali.”
“The second thing was that the groom walked down the aisle too with his groomsmen leading the way and then his parents by his side. Next my bridesmaids headed down the aisle, my gorgeous 3year-old nephew (our ring boy) walked down with my sister. I walked down the aisle to Fields of Gold by Eva Cassidy – love that song!”
“Next thing I knew I was up at the alter – a floating platform suspended on the infinity pool. It was the most stunning day – beautiful blue sky and gorgeous beaming sun – very hot up there on the platform. Another unique element to our wedding was that we had one of our friends as our celebrant which gave the ceremony such a personal element. Was so nice to have someone who knew us both so well up there with us.”
- Entrance of the bride: Eva Cassidy – Fields of Gold
- Music during the ceremony: Michael Buble – Everything, Colbie Caillat – I Do, Bruno Mars – Marry You
“After the ceremony, the guests were ushered up to the main villa to have drinks and canapes on the grassed area next to the second pool. We had dancers entertain them from Fire Dance Bali while we had our photos up near the cliff-side. As the sunset we were blessed with the most incredible sunset we could only have dreamed of! The photos captured it perfectly.”
“After photos, guests were seated and the night began. The bridal party entered to a sparkling welcome with all our guests waving sparklers in the nights sky. Next entered the incredible fire dancers – they performed on the floating platform and the show was amazing! The rest of the night involved espresso martinis and lychee martinis and stunning food by Bali Catering Company. After speeches and a whole lot of fun in the photo booth by Bali Snapz, we all ended up in the pool for an end of night pool party! What an incredible day/night that we will never forget. Memories to keep for the rest of our lives.”
What were your highlights and your favourite memories from the day?
- “Our wedding day was even more beautiful than we could have ever imagined so it’s hard to pick out the highlights. But it was so rewarding to see the venue come together for the first time after all our hard work liaising with the suppliers and coordinating the set up. We had the most beautiful sunny day with blue skies and not a cloud in sight (perhaps thanks to the rain stopper who visited the venue the day prior to ward off potential rain clouds).”
- One of the things we were most impressed with ourselves, were the fire dancers – they were fantastic! There were dancers, fire twirlers and fire breathers – they all performed on the floating platform over the infinity pool where we stood during the ceremony. The dancers with their great soundtrack really set the tone for the reception.”
- We also really enjoyed our first dance. We were supposed to have practiced a lot more than did but we were so busy organizing the rest of the wedding that we ran out of time. On the night, we decided to just give it a go with what we had and it was so much fun! We danced to the Dirty Dancing song “Time of My Life” and timed the lift (or our attempt at the lift) with a burst of pyro technics!”
Do you have any advice for couples who are looking to get married in Bali?
- “Most people that have a destination wedding, use a wedding planner to help them coordinate. However we found that it was just as easy to do it yourself (if you have the time). We had just returned to Australia to live so I was between jobs when we first starting organising the wedding (choosing the venue and suppliers etc) which meant it made sense for us to save some money that way.”
- “These days, with the internet it is very easy to liaise with suppliers overseas. We chose suppliers that had a website and had been recommended on forums and we could see examples of their work. All of our suppliers were very helpful and professional and would always respond to emails immediately. With this in mind, it’s important to realize that some things are going to be beyond your control when coordinating a destination wedding. Things may not always go as planned so you just have to try and be flexible. Plan a recon trip before your wedding to meet your suppliers, get to know them and stay in contact with them in the lead up to the wedding.”
Would you do anything differently?
- “We do wish, that we had of organised an event coordinator on the day to assist with set up as it did get a little stressful doing it ourselves. Most of the last minute stuff landed on Mark’s shoulders’ as I was getting ready.”
Do you have any wedding budget tips?
- “We believe that getting married in Bali won’t necessarily cost less than a wedding at home but you will definitely get more for your budget. Do lots and lots of research and get lots of quotes. There are lots of useful forums online with so many helpful brides offering such valuable advice and information – these should help you to get an idea on costs so you can create your budget.”
- Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes – Time of My Life
Dance floor classics:
- Maroon 5 – Moves Like Jagger
Venue and suppliers:
Photographer – PhotoFactory Bali / Venue – Villa Sanctus / Florist – Heliconia / Catering – Bali Catering Company / Sound and lighting – Vision One / Photo Booth – Bali Snapz Photo Booth / Bride’s dress – Anoushka G / Bride’s hair accessory – Axis International Bridal / Bride’s shoes – Marie Claire / Hair and make up – Renee Pettit / Groom’s suit – Anika Tailor
What an amazing wedding hey? The awe-inspiring venue, Nicole’s stunning outfit, Mark’s sleek and stylish outfit, the incredible sunset, the special sparkler waving entrance and the epic first dance – the list could go on! Love it all….